Tax Information

  • You MUST file taxes.
  • You should use your Social Security Number to file taxes (NOT your ITIN).
  • If you previously filed with an ITIN, consult with a tax professional about the following:
    • Amending up to three prior years of taxes, if you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit; and
    • Notifying the IRS that you will no longer use your ITIN. 

Affordable Care Act ("Obamacare")

  • You are NOT eligible for subsidies under Obamacare and CANNOT apply for health insurance through a healthcare exchange website (such as or However, you CAN apply for health insurance through your employer or directly from an insurance company.
  • Please consult with a healthcare exchange representative to help you apply for family members in your household that may be eligible for subsidies under Obamacare (if they have legal status). 
  • You are NOT required to have health insurance.
  • If you did not have health insurance in 2014, you do NOT need to pay the penalty. 
  • To avoid the penalty, you must submit IRS Form 8965 (exemption code C).
  • If you have already paid the penalty, please consult a tax professional, as you will probably have to file an amended return to claim your exemption. 

Additional information may be found at United We Dream