- You MUST file taxes.
- You should use your Social Security Number to file taxes (NOT your ITIN).
- If you previously filed with an ITIN, consult with a tax professional about the following:
- Amending up to three prior years of taxes, if you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit; and
- Notifying the IRS that you will no longer use your ITIN.
Affordable Care Act ("Obamacare")
- You are NOT eligible for subsidies under Obamacare and CANNOT apply for health insurance through a healthcare exchange website (such as healthcare.gov or kynect.ky.gov). However, you CAN apply for health insurance through your employer or directly from an insurance company.
- Please consult with a healthcare exchange representative to help you apply for family members in your household that may be eligible for subsidies under Obamacare (if they have legal status).
- You are NOT required to have health insurance.
- If you did not have health insurance in 2014, you do NOT need to pay the penalty.
- To avoid the penalty, you must submit IRS Form 8965 (exemption code C).
- If you have already paid the penalty, please consult a tax professional, as you will probably have to file an amended return to claim your exemption.
Additional information may be found at United We Dream.